6 Important Questions To Ask Your Doctor Before Breast Enlargement
Every woman should feel proud of their breasts. If you are overly concerned about the shape, symmetry or size of your breasts, breast augmentation comes in handy. If you are uncomfortable about the shape and size of your breast it is time to talk to a reputable cosmetic surgeon. In fact you are not alone; breast enlargement is the most popular cosmetic procedure in the U.S according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). In the UK breast augmentation procedures increased by 13% in 2014/2015 according to British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (Baaps).
Breast Augmentation for Self Esteem
Breasts matter a lot to every woman. They are a focal point of attention and the eye seems to be involuntarily drawn to them. When a woman feels they are not perfectly shaped their confidence takes a beating. With low self-confidence you will find yourself involuntarily avoiding people, which affects your social skills. For breast cancer survivors breast implants are great as a way of healing the scars both physically and emotionally.
What you need to know
When you visit your doctor make sure you ask these questions in order to understand the procedure comprehensively. The answers will make you feel more at ease as you prepare for the surgery:
- What does breast enlargement entail? This is an out-patient procedure carried out by a qualified and registered cosmetic surgeon. It is done under general aesthetic and a small incision is made under the breast and an implant is then inserted to give you the shape and size you want for your breasts.
- Is this procedure for me? If you want fuller breasts which are symmetrical and in line with the rest of the body, yes. If you are after a more youthful shape, breast augmentation is also for you. If you want a curvier shape your breasts can make this a reality and augmentation ensures you enjoy this shape.
- Who is the right candidate for breast augmentation? This procedure is for mature women over 18 years. You must also be in good general health. Your cosmetic surgeon will assess your medical history during the free consultation to ascertain you are fit for the surgery.
- What are the options available? You can either get saline or silicone implants. Saline is sterile salt water that will be absorbed by the body in case of a leak. Silicone is a gel that cannot be absorbed in case of a leak hence the need for regular checkups.
- Is this procedure safe? There are no known risks of breast augmentation. Scientific studies have consistently shown that breast enlargement poses no risk to your health. In case of silicone gel leaking your surgeon will correct the problem.
- Will I have ugly scars after the surgery? Modern technology allows for minute incision that even a naked eye will not easily notice. Surgical incisions are made in discreet areas under the natural crease of your breasts or the armpit.
During consultations with your doctor you should also enquire about the cost, aftercare and any risk factors that you need to know. Your doctor has the expertise to answer all your breast augmentation queries so feel free to ask them all.