All You Need To Know About Sinusitis
No matter whether the sinus is chronic or acute, it is very painful. Many people misunderstand what sinusitis is all about. They end up taking a wrong treatment and don’t help themselves. So before you head towards the pharmaceutical store, here is what you should know about how to tackle sinusitis.
Our skull has a lot of cavities filled with air. These small cavities are the sinuses. These cavities produce mucus that keeps the nasal passage clear and protected from both the allergens and the pollutants. At times, the sinuses may swell, trapping the mucus and the air thereby blocking it. You may face pain and may even lead to bacterial infection. Sinusitis is classified into two types:
- Chronic sinusitis: chronic sinusitis can last for weeks and even years.Not just is it difficult to diagnose, but even harder to treat.
- Acute sinusitis: You may relieve yourself if you are suffering from acute sinusitis. This type of sinusitis lasts only for three to four weeks.
The initial symptoms of sinusitis usually start from cold or allergies. The people who have weaker immune systems, the fungus, can be a reason for sinusitis. Sometimes sinusitis can even occur due to deviated septum or nasal polyp, that blocks the nasal passage and makes it difficult for the person to breathe. The symptoms of both the chronic and acute sinusitis are the same like:
- Dark colored Mucus
- Nose congestion
Once you figure out that you have been diagnosed by sinusitis, there’s a good news there is a treatment for it. All you need to do is know what is causing the trouble. For example, you may be suffering from sinusitis because of allergies, in that case relying only on the decongestants will not help you much. If you think you have sinusitis symptoms that have persisted for more than a week, get an appointment with the doctor. With an MRI and an X-ray, you can figure out what exactly is causing the trouble. Sinusitis usually needs medical treatment along with the self-care.
Some of the treatments of Sinusitis are:
- Painkillers: Many medicines like acetaminophen and ibuprofen are prescribed by the doctors when people suffer from sinusitis. This helps in reducing the discomfort caused by the illness.It is advisable that you do not take the medicines by your wish, you should not extend the course for more than ten days.
- Antibiotics: If you are facing the trouble of sinusitis due to an allergy, doctors prescribe antibiotics for the same. The acute sinusitis gets a course for 10-15 days whereas chronic sinusitis may take a bit longer. Keep in mind that antibiotics only help when the bacterial infection are the reason for sinusitis, they may not help if you suffer due to the virus.
- Steroids: If you are having to swell in your nostrils, your doctor may prescribe you steroids to reduce the swelling in the sinus membranes.
- Surgery: You should count surgery as the last option. The surgeon can enlarge the sinusitis passage and clear the blockages that will help them to drain out fast and to give you a comfortable living.
No matter what the problem is, you have a solution to it. Calm down if you suffer from such problem and consult your doctor.
Click Here: http://southfloridasinus.com/